27 Jul Shipping Heavy Equipment
A well-known fact by everybody who works in logistics and transportation is that shipping heavy machinery or equipment isn’t the same as sending general freight, for it is costlier, complicated and involves a lot of risks. Shipping heavy equipment is a serious task, one that can go wrong when not done properly. However, it’s also a necessary one, as construction companies all over the world need trucks, bulldozers, dump trucks, concrete mixers and cranes. The following are the best ways to prepare heavy equipment for shipment safely in Canada:
- Owner’s Manual Usage
Going through the owner’s manual is one of the best way to prepare heavy equipment for shipment safely in Canada for:
- It is also referred to as the service manual.
- It offers specific instructions to prepare heavy equipment for transportation, whether by the ocean or otherwise.
- The manual contains details of components that need to be tied down, how to secure moving parts and proper weights and measurements that will be useful during transportation.
- It tells you whether the alarm and battery need to be disconnected.
Thinking about rust-proofing is one of the best way to prepare heavy equipment for shipment safely in Canada for:
- When transporting heavy equipment overseas, machinery may sit in the open air on a cargo ship, exposed to rain, wind and saltwater.
- This exposure to rain, wind and saltwater can lead to corrosion which can compromise the machinery’s ability to function.
- But there are protective measures you can take, including anti-corrosion treatments.
- Anti-Corrosion Treatments
Depending on the condition and size of the equipment, you can use one of the following protective methods to prepare heavy equipment for shipment safely in Canada:
Plating offers an additional layer to avoid corrosion for:
- It typically comprises tin and zinc.
- A combination of both offers enhanced protection against chemical damage and abrasion.
In this method, machinery is coated in layers of zinc and steel likewise:
- The final layer is generally pure zinc since it’s shock absorbent.
- This outer layer protects equipment against impacts and jostling during transport and lasts many years.
- This type of coating requires no additional maintenance and doesn’t peel or chip.
Whereas galvanizing creates a composite that bonds to the machinery’s surface, paint covers the surface as a separate layer to prevent corrosion likewise:
- When looking to coat heavy equipment, oil-based paints are best-suited for harsh weather and long journeys.
- However, removing oil-based paint requires more effort than water-based options.
- If you want to get rid of this layer, it’s best to use a solvent-based compound or a degreaser.
- Capabilities Inspection
Before loading heavy equipment onto a trailer to be shipped, it’s vital to check the weight it can pull for:
- Hauling something too heavy can damage the trailer.
- Additionally, checking the trailer’s tire pressure is part of inspecting its capabilities, as there’s an ideal pressure ratio to maintain to prevent damage.
- Finally, check the brakes.
- Only once the equipment passes inspection can you begin shipping.
- Shipping Methods Usage
Considering the different methods of shipping is one of the best way to prepare heavy equipment for shipment safely in Canada for:
- There are many ways to ship heavy equipment
- You have to make sure you’re choosing the right one.
- The most suitable method depends on the load’s shape and size.
- Different Shipping Methods
Here are some of the most common heavy equipment shipping methods to prepare heavy equipment for shipment safely in Canada:
- Container Shipping
Container shipping offers easy loading and unloading of freight likewise:
- The containers are generally of a standard 20 or 40 feet.
- This method of shipping may require you to disassemble your heavy machinery as it might not be possible to fit these containers otherwise.
- It offers the ease of transport but can be time-consuming and labor intensive if you have to disassemble and assemble parts.
Commonly referred to as LoLo, and offers lifting heavy equipment likewise:
- This method employs a crane to lift heavy equipment directly on and off the ship.
- It’s a relatively simple method in theory but you need a crane to move and lift the equipment.
- This requires a specialized crew and additional costs.
Also known as Roll-On/Roll-Off shipping, and offers lifting heavy equipment likewise:
- This is one of the simplest ways to transport heavy equipment, provided that the shipment can be rolled.
- Equipment with wheels can easily be loaded onto ships, whether you’re using containers, trailers or ship decks.
- This particular shipping method can save you both money and time.
- Perhaps the only downside is that there needs to be ample space for both the heavy equipment and the machinery needed to lift and move it.
- Prepare for Risks
Depending on how durable or delicate your heavy equipment is, you should think about the shipping company’s risk management policy as one of the best way to prepare heavy equipment for shipment safely in Canada for:
- This can be a major determinant of whether your equipment will reach its destination in one piece.
- If you’re shipping a particularly expensive asset, it’s best to have an expert survey and supervise the loading and unloading.
- You can also have someone assess your asset’s value before it’s shipped and after it reaches its destination.
- This valuation can come in handy when you apply for its commercial insurance policy.
- Local Regulations Following
Following local regulations is one of the best way to prepare heavy equipment for shipment safely in Canada for:
- The last thing you want to deal with is costly parts becoming damaged along the way, as this can lead to injuries on the job site.
- By preparing beforehand, you minimize the risk of accidents and increase the overall safety of everyone involved.
- Follow the aforementioned tips outlined in this blog to better prepare your heavy equipment to be shipped.
- Follow these aforementioned tips to ensure your heavy equipment is ready for transportation and reaches its destination safely.
- This makes it all the more important to ensure that your heavy equipment is loaded and secured while following local regulations.
- Shipping Partner Choice
If you’re looking to ship heavy equipment from Canada, get in touch with a shipping partner who can commit to transporting your equipment without hassle and these are its specs:
- One sign of a good shipping company is when they use military specifications when shipping both heavy-duty items and fragile ones, since shipping heavy machinery isn’t the same as sending general freight.
- Since shipping heavy machinery makes the process both more complicated and costlier, these specs guarantee the safety of the machinery, from packing and handling right up to loading and unloading.
- Remember, the company you choose should focus on keeping your heavy equipment in good condition at all stages of transportation, for additionally, the more risks there are, the more arrangements need to be made to ensure your equipment doesn’t sustain damage before or upon reaching its destination.
- They should also have logistics professionals who know what needs to happen once the equipment has reached its destination and steer clear of offloading risks.
- Your shipping partner should know how to prepare heavy equipment for shipping following the aforementioned easy tips.
There are many ways to optimize and improve international shipments from consolidation to arranging cross-docking, but if you plan to utilize all, we DIJLA would be happy to help you choose the right pallets, properly secure your shipment, and handle anything from custom packaging to customs clearance.
That is why DIJLA helps companies manage their shipping logistics so that shipping times can be optimized. We provide shipping solutions at every level of the shipping process so you can get the most out of your shipping budget without needing to deal with the hassle of complex shipping procedures.
What about allocating the whole process to one of the most well-known shipping companies globally that combines freight shipping, supply chain management, shipment tracking and other services, with a solid understanding of shipping methods and insurance, as well as a good grasp of overseas markets and regulations and equipped with specific qualifications involving the transportation of hazardous materials, oversized cargo or dangerous goods?
Indeed, it relieves you from doing thorough research from the start to see where your international shipping niche might be, paying lump sums when you can manage your budget and spend and the hectic of perceiving this hazardous chain.
DIJLA who is highly regarded for its shipment services to all Iraqi provinces and manages shipping documents for Iraq customs, is ready to provision the whole process for you from freight forwarding to shipping and logistics services, land transporting services, custom clearance services and door to door delivering services with the aforementioned specializations and qualifications and the handling of all these concerns to ensure your goods will reach safe and get imported to the destined customers efficiently.
From a modest beginning in 2011, DIJLA today boasts of working with reputed partnerships, an internationally accredited matrix of agencies that warrant us to extend effective services across the globe. From the list of shipping companies in Dubai, DIJLA Shipping & Freight Forwarding L.L.C is a leading Logistics and Shipping company since 2011. With offices in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, China, Iraq, we provide the art of international Door-to-Door shipping services, Air Freight, Sea Freight, Transportation services and logistics services. We manage and deliver globally different sizes of cargo, from small to standard to big sizes, with effectiveness and accuracy in order to meet the highest levels of Customer satisfaction. Our team comprises the wizards from the logistics industry who possess cognizance, acumen and foresight about this industry.